Subject: [Leica] Re: LET'S SEE NOW...WHICH M-TELEPHOTO TO CHOOSE?
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:04:11 -0700

At 03:16 PM 4/27/00 -0700, EXT-Alexander, John wrote:

><snip>
>
>Back to the M telephoto choice.  I used to feel the rush of creativity with
>the Nikon  85mm 1.4.  I imagine that owners of the M 75mm 1.4 are having the
>same experience (unabated joy!).  I got the 90AA and am wearing a "poop
>smackin" grin of late...BUT... I am still envious of those who own the 75mm.
>Only those who own both are able to consider the case closed.  BUT THEN,
>WHICH OF THE TWO LENSES DOES ONE CARRY IF BOTH ARE AVAILABLE?  It's akin to
>the basic pyramid of human needs...satisfy one need and voila!...another
>appears as a refined offshoot..., albeit on a higher plane.  Such is the
>human condition.
>
>John A.

The following is simply my personal viewpoint as an answer to your question.

I only own the 75/1.4 Summilux. I used to own a 90/2.8 Elmarit (latest
version) and found that I did not use it very much. I sold it to buy the
75/1.4.

I think of the 75 as a cropped 50. Since both frame lines are up, it feels
like a super 50.

But the difference between the 75 Summilux and 90 APO ASPH is the lens
formula computation. The 75 Summilux is one of the last "hand computed"
formulas, if not "the last." This lens and all predecessors have a
"different" look and feel to the photographic result. I have a 24 ASPH and
35/1.4 ASPH whose signature is vastly different than my 50/1.4 and 75/1.4 .

Even though I do not own a 90 AA, I would pit it alongside the 100/2.8 APO
Macro-R, which I owned and used for many years. This is NOT a portrait
lens. This is not a Bokeh lens. It is "blatantly rude!" High contrast, high
definition, exceedingly fine detail. Wonderful for nature, wildlife,
scenics, objects, but difficult with people. I suspect the 90AA is this
category of lens.

Mark Rabiner is a wonderful people photographer and I believe he has this
lens (90AA) so he would be a good person to query in this respect.

I can tell you from personal experience that the 75/1.4 and the 50/1.4,
produce a smoothness and glow that is lost with the ASPH CAD assisted
lenses. This is not bad. Everyone now has a choice of Computer Aided
Design, or Human Design as Leica lenses live forever. I would not give up
my 35/1.4 ASPH for any other 35mm lens. Likewise on the 24 ASPH. But I'm
not sure if I would ever want a 50/1.4 ASPH as no matter what folks say,
the current 50/1.4 lens is the epitome of "Leica Character." Or Leica Glow
if you wish. I know for sure that I would not want a 75 ASPH. This lens at
f/1.4 and f/2 speaks volumes of magic quality, unobtainable, in my
estimation, anywhere else.

IMHO,

Jim