Subject: Re: [Leica] Up Periscope
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:29:17 -0400

From Korea, Po-Wen writes:
. . .
>Should I explore digital or continue to learn the "craft" in the darkroom?
>Even with only half a year in the darkroom, I have already come to dread the
>testing time, etc. with the chemical tanks; yet I wanted to do darkroom work
>precisely to get away from the computer.

	--> I'll confide: time in a photo lab is a person's
	most private time away from the crowd.
	That alone makes it a priceless experience.
	Add the magic of "hands - on" photography ...

	The photo lab is the ultimate photo school: you have time
	to compose, crop, enlarge, blow-up, expose, tank one / two / three,
	wash, then try to get a super glossy finish ... 'N', 'F', 'G' : gee !
	You get to know the limits of the medium and of your equipment
	and how to get more out of it, with time. So, if you happen to have
	access to an interesting lab, make the most of it.

	Most especially if you have a good instructor available.

Assuming that
>I can only afford a good Epson printer (which are quite expensive in Korea,
>HP seems to have the market... so I may have to buy it here) but no film
>scanner, can I get good print-outs from PhotoCD scans?

	--> Basically: yes !  But some people who own the latest
	film scanners could scoff at PhotoCD: snobs !
	YET: a PhotoCD is far less expensive than getting
	a film scanner and will exceed most people's
	expectations ( but you're a Leica freak, so your idea
	of "adequate" could reach quite high, quality wise).

	--> I also own an Epson (that's the one to get if you
	are thinking about photo quality results) and it has
	lived up to it's reputation (though I got it because I was
	enchanted with my old Epson FX-80). People used to other brands
	can be quite impressed with the Epson print-outs...
	enough to get an Epson the same week.

	The color prints fade quite a lot after a year in the open light,
	plus may take on a slight magenta cast per my private tests,
	sometimes as soon as three months after print-out.
	The yellows tend to bleed when extra-saturated next to
	deep surrounding masses of dark subject matter
	after about 6 months.
	It can be the trippiest thing: a 8" x 11" color photo in a minute.
	B&W is really good, even at the lower resolution,
	though no substitute for an excellent photographic print;
	however, it's not expensive and meets my current needs:
	documentary rather than exhibition.

	I'm surprised at your comments because quite a few Epson
	products are made in Korea ... "market dynamics" ... !

	Andre Jean Quintal