Subject: Re: [Leica] summicron question -- go creative
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:15:54 -0400

1/ I have a  question about my  newly acquired lens.
Its a 35mm f2 summicron, Canadian #20658xx can anyone tell me anything
about it?

2/  I had been using a 35/2 from 69 I believe with a little ab on the
aperture ring and I'm not particularly happy with the sharpness wide
open.

	--> This is the only part I'll comment on:
	My personal opinion, for what it's worth,
	is that this lower sharpness property, in many lenses, can become
	useful when a photographer knows what to expect
	at such critical apertures and actually makes the most of
	it's "flaws" towards specific "creative" ends.

	In other words: sharpness is NOT everything
	in photography. What about "residual" tonal gradation,
	shadow detail, highlights' subtlety, color accuracy when its acutance /
	edge resolution goes down somewhat at f/2.8 or f/2 ?

	My point is to try and "sell" you your older lens (Devil's Advocate):
	What would you say if we look at your problem this way:
	film emulsions have, for the most part, evolved quite a lot
	in thirty years. What sort of results are now possible
	at f/4 with this "old" lens using today's improved
	emulsions, either B&W or color, at light levels that would have
	demanded a wider aperture "back then" ? Then compare today's
	stuff with your older slides or prints ...

	It's twisted logic, I agree, but I hope you realize there's
	still quite a lot of "photo mileage" left into your older lens ...
	(and value -- compared to most other brands).

	[ Now, IF your wallet itches, there's only one way to cure that ... :
	trade both older 35mm lenses and get the latest which should
	last you another 20-30 years before it becomes obsolete,
	if ever, unless photo lenses' optics make a totally unexpected
	quantum leap, performance wise. Go wild and get the f/1.4 ASPH ???]

	Andre Jean Quintal

3/ Will I like this lens any better or will I NEED a ASPH35/2?