Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparging
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 17:25:27 +0000

Perhaps we understand the First Amedment to mean different things--although
I won't take up LUG bandwidth with my--I think reasonably well
informed--interpretation.

Suffice it to say, the First Amendment does not protect a bigoted boor from
the disapprobation of the community: it simply--in most
circumstances--prevents the community from prosecuting or penalizing him
for the expression of his views .  Insofar as the LUG constitutes a
voluntary association, it is perfectly acceptable for it to "police" the
behavior of its membership, though the mark of a good NG is that it
exercises that power sparingly.  It's been awhile since I've reviewed
charters, but nearly all preserve the authority of the list owner to 'twit'
or otherwise expel participants who violate an NG's 'community standards'
in matters of practice (posting attachments), spamming, profanity, and for
various other violations of  'nettiquite.'  This is hardly a First
Amendment issue, though I suppose that it's conceivable that certain 14th
Amendment protections may obtain in the matter of civil rights' violations.
 My sense is that the law remains pretty unformed on this point.

Your assertion that PC has reduced the guarantees of free speech and free
press to "RUBBLE" does not warrant a reponse.

I recall reading once a statement of William Randolph Hearst's (I think) to
the effect that the purpose of a "free press" is to buy newsprint a three
cents a pound and to sell it at ten.  I'd worry about *that* calculus . . .

I dwell on this, because I believe that the tone of this NG is often
intimidating to lurkers, and it's not always because the "experts" seem so
magisterially knowledgable.  I don't doubt that many of us have recd.
private email from luggers who say as much.

Chandos

.  "Political Correctness" has reduced the guarantees