Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Chemistry Questions The ultimate advice in processing
From: prasepe@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 00:08:7= +2300

Dan,
It may very well be that using a replenisher for D-76 eliminates or, at
least, minimizes the increased contrast problem. Makes some sense that the
PH would be affected somehow by the addition of fresh chemical. I have only
ever used D-76 with the TMax family; I tried it mainly because John Sexton
used this combo several years ago and I have always respected the opinions
of those photogs that can "hang 'em on the wall!" Hey...I figured if it was
good enough for him who am I to argue. I did observe the increased contrast
problem specifically with TMax films though never did any sensitometric
evaluations. As it turned out I didn't particularly care for TMax so I
dropped the whole thing. Don't know about Diafine with TMax; only ever used
D-76 and TMax developer (which produces really mushy negs, IMO). Guess when
it comes right down to it I prefer my 100 year old formula - Rodinal. As
Mark and others have said already it is simply awesome with films like
APX25. Superb tonal range, excellent sharpness, grain no problem, beautiful
prints! The downside:  slow speed! Even wide open, shutter speeds would be a
problem in low light. Please excuse if others already responded...I lost
almost an entire digest...having download or server problems.

Best regards,
Alan

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered