Subject: Re: [Leica] Right there on topic as usual: LeicaBooze Redux
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 09:16:25 +0100

Jeff Moore wrote:

> At 5 Jan 1999 21:15:21 -0600, Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > A  man  of reason and taste...and of course the best beer is brewed by
> > the in the same country as the whiskey, Scotland.
>
> ....<snip>....but
> Scottish beer?  I have to give the Belgians the nod for beer.  Over and
> over again.  Too many examples to even try to encompass.

Jeff,
Living in Brussels, and born there, I have the great opportunity to
enjoy some of the hundreds of different Belgian beers whenever I feel
like it. Which is often. It must nevertheless be noted that during the
last 15 years, the majority of independent brewers have disappeared and
that the concentration of beer production in the hands of a few
international giants has become a sad fact. Marketing hides this of
course and disguises the products with pseudo-trappist symbolism, then
sold to international markets and to naive tourists as the real thing.

OTOH, Scotland does produce a number of real ales that are very very
nice, and seem to only be available in local pubs. They should not be
treated with any disdain.

One peculiar sort of beer is what the Belgians call the "Scotch", and
that I've never seen in Scotland. It is a stout beer, reminiscent of the
Guiness, but sweeter, and generally produced in Belgium, with scottish
labels (Mc Ewan's and Gordon's). We even have a special brew, called the
"Christmas Scotch", sold between november and february. Never seen that
in Scotland either....

Alan.