Subject: Re: [Leica] Rattlesnake wrestling
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:38:59 +0100

Walter S Delesandri wrote:

> I am not asking for the 'ROLLS ROYCE' of rapidwinders.  I'm asking for
> the Nissan or the Volkswagen.

First of all, I wish to make absolutely clear that I respect the
experience of those who bought, owned and used Leicas/cameras before I
was the proverbial itch.

However, that said, and even considering I've just got into this Leica
game, I fail to understand why you'd stick a "Nissan" accessory to a
"Rolls Royce" camera.

I whine about price like many others.  I whinge when handing over the
checks.  But I bought a Leica (even though it was a 35 year-old SH M3)
because I wanted *the best* I could afford.  I have no interest of
putting second-rate accessories on it, regardless if it's a $1.95
softrelease from Hama, or a $250 Rapidwinder from someone else.

Tom's Softreleases and Rapidwinders may be engineered to standards that
will allow archeologists in the 52nd century to unearth, clean and
operate them, but that's *exactly* what I want.  Provided I can unearth
the cash for it, I'd happily pay the extra $250, because I know that
I will get something whose build quality, quality of use and longevity
is going to *at least* match that of the camera.

Leicas are expensive, as are their accessories.  There *are* cheaper
options available for those who want them.  And please remember that
I'm speaking from the bottom of the food chain on this one ;-)

Regards (and I *mean* that),

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho