Subject: Re: [Leica] Rattlesnake wrestling
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:02:38 -0600 (CST)

Hello, Tom

Read my post carefully.  I state that in spite of my $250 price point,
I HAVEN'T built one.  I did, however, choose that figure carefully, after
my flippant $39.95 statement.  Your post is actually the expected reply.

I haven't the means to produce the object, nor the time to outsource
it. I chose that price figure in that it is double the going rate for
several aftermarket "winders" for various cameras TIMES TWO to compensate
for market demand.  The winders are of decent finish, and MORE complex
than a rapid winder need be, of course.

Your challenge is EXACTLY the same as one I've received many times,
however.  The cheapest vacuum tube stereo power amps available some
years back were around $1000 and the cheapest minimalist preamp (with
phono stage) were around $700.  I observed that it should be possible
to build and sell, to the average "normal" audiophile, quality components
for less than half that, on a semi-production basis (not unlike the
number of Leica aftermarket consumers), components for around
HALF that price.  Note that I >DO< have the knowledge and facilities
to produce these in small numbers (as few as 1!).  Same type of
response/threats/challenges.

With only my own labor, while holding down a full time job,
I produced several of each.  I listen to one pair as I type this,
now going strong after many years.  Several others are still
going strong around the state and the country.  By building
100 of each, I could still (1998) meet my price point of ten years
ago, and allow a dealer a DECENT (33%, same as Leica at the time)
margin, while allowing myself a 50% margin. Not the 50-80%
margin that importers like, but I doubt you enjoy that kind of
profit, either.

Again, r.e. my previous post, I don't dispute the high quality of
fit and finish of your products.  They are gorgeous.  I'm not
suggesting that you lower YOUR prices.  I am not asking for the
'ROLLS ROYCE' of rapidwinders.  I'm asking for the Nissan or the
Volkswagen.  Decent quality at a price for photographers FROM SOMEONE
ELSE!!  The average audiophile can't/won't afford Mcintosh or Marantz
reissues for $2500-5000.   They want nice, production line quality
and performance for $400-700, and it IS practical and possible, without
sacrificing performance and certainly not reliability.

Like the good ten-cent cigar, they want and NEED (even the students
who don't know it yet) a good $500 RFDR body with 50 f2, and a
decent 28 and 105 to put on it for $300 apiece.  And maybe a
$200 rapid winder for those that like them.  It IS possible and
practical, and the lenses already exist and are being imported by
several firms.  Perhaps we will see such a camera. Perhaps not.

I've owned a Jaguar.  Now I drive a Nissan and a vintage Chevy
truck (no surprises there).  There's room for both.

So, if you'll read this post carefully, I'll respectfully decline
your challenge. I have other skills.  Perhaps someone reading this
post will take you up one.  Someone with the facilities to do
mechanical manufacturing in small quantities.  I respect your
products, as I have already stated.  Most photographers have
other price/value needs.  Remember, the rapidwinder was VERY
unpopular during the heyday of such a device.  But the Nikon
motors weren't!!  Perhaps your winders will find their place
in history, attaining the value of MP Leicavits in the future.
Not for 99.99% of photographers, tho.

BTW, my neighbor, a good friend, could have one of my amps for
cost-$250 or so-and he LOVES them.  He still, however, listens
to his Kenwood receiver.  He's not stupid.  He knows value, and
my esoteric amps and your winders don't do it for him.

I might build some more audio when/if I retire.  But they will
remain an overpriced oddity for the neurotic even if I do.

It IS possible to make the statements I made without disrespecting
you or your products.  If the finish on your soft releases is
worth an extra $8, they will pay it - I am one such person!!
EXACTLY what I stated in a previous post!  But similar function
IS available for $2.  There's room and need for both.

Sincerely,
Walt Delesandri
Denton, Tx.