Subject: Re: [Leica] Test report that ends all reports?(21 and 135 issues)
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:00:59 -0500

Nigel, Erwin et al.:

Thanks for the outstanding test reports and the ensuing enlightening
discussions with respect to the new Leica optics. I have been using a 21f3.4
SA and less frequently a 135f4 TE for about 15 years. Both old test reports
and my own experience indicate that these are outstanding lenses.
I accept the general conclusion confirmed by Erwin's studies that the 21
asph and the 135 apo are superior to their predecessors. Some questions:

1. Will the improvements show up if  the camera is hand held?
2. Does one need the finest emulsion film (Kodachrome 25 and 64 or Fuji
equivalents)  to see  the advantage of the new designs?
Depending on the answer to these questions and one's  individual
photographic style,  upgrading to the latest  may not make much sense even
if funds to do so are readily available.
3. Is there any activity in Solms to incorporate a multifocal finder in the
M line? Neither of these lenses is useable without an external finder. The
21 is self-evident. But the frameline for the 135 mm lens in the M4,5,6  is
almost useless. I have no experience with the M3 or M6HM but I doubt that a
20% increase in finder dimensions is sufficient for accurate framing. With
the 1970s version of the TE, I solve this problem either by using a 135mm
brightline finder or mounting the lenshead on a R body via the
16464(focusing mount) and 14167(M-to-R adapter).   Both are clumsy
approaches.
Clearly the design and incorporation of a multifocal finder in the "M7" is
more urgently needed by the M user than the ultimate performance permitted
by the latest asph or apo lenses.

Regards, Andrew Jordan