Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B&W technique - D-76
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:18:20 -0500

Robert-
Years ago, when I was experimenting with different developer formulae, I got
a triple beam balance and the basic ingredients.... I finally used D-76
undiluted and replenished. I could make a gallon of developer, and a gallon
of replenisher for less than 2 bucks- a pound of Elon and a pound of
Hydroquinone will last a LONG time!
Some sodium sulfite and 20 Mule Team Borax and you're in business!
I found that I got excellent, repeatable results unsing the undiluted D-76,
but there again, run a couple of rolls to test- one straight, one with the
water bath. Shoot them under the harshest of conditions- open sun, with deep
shadows. If you have a densitometer, you can compare- if you don't use a
densitometer, then your B&W or Color enlarging meter can be used as a de
facto densitomet... If you need some pointers on doing this, email privately
as iwould be a pretty long post.
Once you can quantify what you're doing, it gets easier to tailor the
results to your needs.
Dan
dwpost@msn.com