To: Leica User Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: New Member of Group
From: Tony Gamble / UK <100113.1524@compuserve.com>
Date: 12 Feb 96 07:38:20 EST

Greetings, colleagues.

I have just been admitted to the Leica Users Group. I thought it worth
introducing myself, on the off-chance that I add a new resource.

I live and work in London, England.

I am a semi-pro photographer. I'd elaborate that by saying that my main source
of income comes from running a magazine and directory publishing company. My
photography comes second. However, I am professional in that I do take pictures
for my own publications and I also charge fees for taking pictures for other
people. If I were to sell my business I would, almost inevitably, use my new
found time to take more pictures and make more money from them.

My office is situated half way between Covent Garden and the British Museum. For
those who know London you will recognize this is coincidentally the centre for
many of the better photographic retailers.

I have a studio in Fulham where I live.

I am fairly well aware of the equipment scene in the UK. I have, over the years,
bought a fair amount of kit. I go to all the exhibitions and I know quite a lot
of the importers.

I have a couple of R5's with a fairly large compliment of lenses bought over the
years. In my studio I use Multiblitz 300's. For on camera flash I use a Metz 45
and Quantum Qflash X. I have a knock-down studio set-up in my office based on
three Lumedyne lights and a Lastolite black velvet background (to deal with
people who feel intimidated at the thought of a studio session).

The UK photographic scene is pretty dull at the moment. We have some talented
photographers around - but having a photographic portrait taken is far less
common than in America. As to wedding photography, the Zuckers of this world
seem to live on another planet as far as us Brits are concerned.

The retail/import side shows it. I have heard it said recently that one American
mail-order house will often import more a brand in a year than the nominated
importer servicing the whole of the UK. As to prices I think that there is
little difference between the UK and the US with cameras. However, when it comes
to accessories the US is significantly cheaper than the UK.

So, good folks, you know who I am and what, if anything, I can do to help.

Oh, and forgive me if I don't get involved in long discussions. I do still have
a business to run - and a crust to earn.

And the other thing is that currently my only access to Internet is via
Compuserve. So I apologise if my messages look as if they have come from outer
space.

Regards to all.

Tony Gamble. London UK.