To: Leica User Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Prices in the UK
From: Tony Gamble / UK <100113.1524@compuserve.com>
Date: 19 Feb 96 09:18:51 EST

Chris,

You ask why, if the sale of new Leicas is so minimal in the UK, do we produce
such good books.

We have good photographers and we have good authors. It is just that our
shop-keepers seem not to be so good. Neither are our hoteliers and
restauranteurs - which is why my wife and I tend to vacation in the US now - but
that's another story. Like the fact that I buy almost all my clothes in America
now.

The problem is turnover. Or lack of it.

I wanted to buy a certain lens for my Leica recently.

Despite what you may think there is effectively only one magazine here that
carries used equipment ads and that is the Amateur Photographer. The other
weekly, the British Journal of Photography, carries some used equipment
advertising, but, for example, no-one who deals in 'R' Leicas.

In the Amateur Photographer are two (yes, only two) dealers who carry any
quantity of Leicas.

In my quest to buy the lens I spoke to both of them. 'Oh, no those are very
rare.' (They are not, incidentally. There are dozens in Shutterbug)
I told both dealers what I was prepared to pay....'Oh no. If we got one in we'd
have to pay that'. And all I was quoting was the average Shutterbug price.

No hint of 'I don't have one at the moment sir. But why don't I take your number
whilst I ring around a few contacts'. It was really more a matter of 'Go away
you man with money to spend. I'll never get away from the office if I keep
having to send out things I have sold'.

In fact, bless his heart, Len Lyons of R G Lewis did offer to ring up a few
people. He had no more luck, but at least he sounded enthusiastic.

I bought what I wanted via Shutterbug. It arrived in today's post and I've paid
less than I offered the boys when I phoned - including air freight and import
tax.

I've told both these mail order wizzards that I am in the market to swop my R5's
for used R7's. 'Can't do it, sir.' 'Got R5's coming out of our ears. Can't get
R7's for gold dust'. Here I am trying to spend money - and they won't let me.
Personally I think I may be stupid anyway. There is not much that the 7 offers
over the 5. It is very much a matter of keeping my gear up-to-date.

The Leica import operation have a once-a-year clear out of demo and ex-school
stock. They offer about 10-15% off the normal price. Who are they kidding?

A whole lot of camera shops went under in the early 90's. Those that remain are
dramatically over-stocked with Japanese AF kit. The importers will do anything
to get the goods out of their warehouses - but nobody wants Japanese AF kit at
the moment. An SLR is Daddy's indulgence. A video camera is a family investment.
So any disposable money is going into VTR's.

Get me on to my hobby horse about the low quality of most high street 60 minute
processors here and I'll throw more fat on the fire. 'You didn't want green
snow, Sir?' 'I thought you would prefer the flesh tones bleached out if it made
the trees look better sir' 'Flash always makes faces white, Sir. You wouldn't
want the room to look too dark would you?'
I've heard them all.

And did you know that if you asked for negative retouching at nine out of ten
pro labs you would be told it was unaffordable?

It's a funny old world over here.

Tony Gamble
London UK.

Replies: Reply from Gordon Banks <geb@dsl.pitt.edu> (Re: Prices in the UK)