Subject: [Leica] IMG: a day in Madrid
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 08:07:05 +0200

I went to Madrid for the day last Thursday, something that is possible
thanks to the high speed train that covers the 450 km in 2h20m or so. Every
summer there is a huge photography festival there called PhotoEspa?a, and I
usually go to look at selected exhibitions. This time the highlights were an
exhibition by Danish photographer Christian Franzen (1864-1923) who lived in
Madrid most of his adult life and became THE photographer of royalty and
celebrities. I had not heard of him before. And then, to finish the day, I
visited an incredible exhibition of more than 150 works by Elliott Erwitt,
all of them vintage prints, either work prints or large exhibition prints,
arranged thematically. Really fantastic. The visit also gave me the
opportunity to visit a couple of venues I had not seen before, including
Real Academia de Bellas Artes San Fernando and the Fundaci?n Canal, an
exhibition space funded by the adjacent water company (not uncommon in
Madrid, there are other great art venues funded by insurance companies,
banks etc.).

It was over 30C already when I arrived before 10 a.m., and by the afternoon
the temperature reached 39C, or 102F in American money. So I did not walk
around as much as I normally would, instead relying on Madrid excellent and
inexpensive public transport. Both the metro and the buses have very
effective air conditioning, providing relief when moving from one place to
another.

A mix of art and architecture can be seen here, with a few people thrown in:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Travel/A-day-in-Madrid-2024

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
photo at frozenlight.eu