Subject: [Leica] Looking for Advice: I have an M9 - it's 2024 - should I consider upgrading to an M11?
From: jassechan at gmail.com (Jasse Chan)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 12:12:17 +0100

Dear LUGers

I'm curious about the feeling amongst people who have 'lugged' around
old-school Leica's.

I have an M3 that I love using for black-and-white captures. I've lent my
M9 Monochrom to my niece, who LOVES using it.

My camera is an M9, and I keep my Noctilux 50mm 0.95 on it.  I still carry
it to work most days, and on weekends.

I've seen some used M11's come onto the market - and I need to build my
case to my wife as to why I should go for an upgrade - and as far as I can
tell:

M9:
Pros
it's been recently serviced by Leica - so it feels like it's new again.
I love the rendering it gives (I know the good old kodak sensor has some
charm)
It's simple - I've used it for a decade, and it has enough Megapixels for
my purposes
I have several batteries
Cons
As with anything - it's getting dated
I've missed shots because it can be slow

M11:
Pros
New and sexy
holy cow - megapixels - If I need to crop I feel confident that I can
I don't have the new experience of images being saved via wifi and to the
app (and my iPhone?  I rely on the SD card in my m9)

Cons
Expensive
it might take some time to learn the new menus
Would my life actually get better if I dish out a lot of cash for another
Leica?
 . . . .

Please, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Frankly, I could live very happily
with my M9 because the images are still top-notch. As I mentioned, I only
use my Nocti on it, and it still performs magic.

Jasse

--
Jasse Chan

jassechan at gmail.com