Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Drobos... If you have them what can you expect?
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 11:06:56 -1000

 ?I fear one of our community, who was maybe a non EE will feel encouraged
by this type pf message.... and try to build his own NAS..... This kid of
telling others how to do it is a big problem.? You are doing them no
favors.? They will fail.? Are YOU going to bail them out?

(At this point, I calmed down)

I assume Peter, Brian, John, Richard and maybe others did the DIY NAS box
because they have the skill set and could save money and have all technical
options open to them. They achieved their individual goals. They KNEW WHAT
THEY WERE DOING.

BUT.... As I said, the bulk (50-75% or more) of the cost of a NAS is in the
HDD, not the box itself.? What Peter, et al,? has done is both cheap and
good, but Mr. Average Photographer with a bunch of images saved on Drobo
drives just is not going to be able toget this kind of solution running.? He
does not have the skill set. (Yes, I am making a judgement call..... )

This user just does not have the specialized techie smarts to do this, or
Richard's or Brian's etc, solution.? No less maintain that with upgrades to
the OS or other software over time .... DIY NAS really is a dead end... FOR
THAT SKILL LEVEL.

 ?It is similar to telling a user to go buy his CPU, RAM, other components
and design the PCB and wire up your own computer..... It can be done, there
is info on the WEB to do it, you would save money...WHO WOULD DO THAT?

( Blood pressure again restored to normal)

Savings at most is the complete cost of the NAS box, a savings of $250-500
or so.? About the price of a Leica camera Battery.

The downside is that you miss an Windows upgrade, something changes in your
non Windows OS that runs your DIY NAS, and your box again becomes a
brick.? Don't to it.

For those with the skill set, good for you.? For the rest of us,

Use external USB HDDs or

Spend the money, buy the finished NAS box.? The rest I can help you do.

You do have the skills for this solution.....

But get rid of the Drobo..... before it is too late.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com