Subject: [Leica] Perla Nieto Memorial
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:59:33 +0200

So meaningless. Back in 1984, my first year of graduate school at the
University of Florida, I got a job at a local 7-11 to help finance my
studies. The shop was open 24 hours, and I had the night shift. It was
located on the outskirts of Gainesville, a rather dangerous location if
someone had wanted to rob the store. I gave free coffee and snacks to the
cops when they chose my parking lot as the place to hang out while waiting
for some emergency to attend to. In the morning I would go to my classes,
not having slept. Obviously, this was not sustainable and I quit after 3 or
4 months. One of the major factors in that decision was the murder of a
night clerk like me in another 7-11 in Gainesville?an armed robbery gone
wrong, with the murderer getting away with no more than $30 (that was the
maximum amount in the cash register, anything over would go into the safe to
which we did not have access).

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman