Subject: [Leica] IMG:At a basketball game
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:17:06 -0800

I took my SL2-S to a basketball game on Saturday paired with the Panasonic
f2.8 70-200mm lens.

This is NOT a sports combo by any means. Autofocus is SLOW and uncertain.
But just because it?s not good for action doesn't mean it can?t be used for
capturing other aspects of an event.

I like this image of UC Davis Aggie center Nico Rocak.

https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Sports/Basketball/Mens-Basketball/UC-Davis/2023-2024-Season/Bakersfield-at-Davis/i-ZzrSGnz/A

And this shot of TY Johnson lining up a crucial free-throw works for me -
all alone in a crowd

https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Sports/Basketball/Mens-Basketball/UC-Davis/2023-2024-Season/Bakersfield-at-Davis/i-33hthjF/A

The UC Davis Dance Team was also on hand. You just have to love, well, all
the hair.

https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Sports/Basketball/Mens-Basketball/UC-Davis/2023-2024-Season/Bakersfield-at-Davis/i-jmszM8N/A

I shot these all in RAW+JPEG with normal B&W settings. These images are all
from conversions to B&W from the RAW images. Shooting this way gives me a
monochrome viewfinder which is quite useful. But the JPEGS, while nice,
don?t give me as much room to work with the image as does the RAW.

The entire set from the game are here:

https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Sports/Basketball/Mens-Basketball/UC-Davis/2023-2024-Season/Bakersfield-at-Davis/i-jmszM8N

If the SL2-S could focus as well as the Fuji X-H2S it would be my go-to
camera but the X-H2S is vastly superior in action situations. Its sensor has
probably a stop more noise than the Leica, however. I?m hoping that the
sensor in the Q3 will find its way into the SL bodies.

Thanks for looking. Your comments/critique are most welcome.

Adam Bridge
Davis, CA

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG:At a basketball game)
Reply from jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] IMG:At a basketball game)