Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 23/2/2023: explaining the past (and a proper Leica film photo too)
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 19:57:34 +0100

Thanks, Peter. There has been some rain that morning but in general the
winter has been dry. In contrast to Northern Europe, it has been
unseasonably cold here. This morning when I was driving to work, it was only
9C (48F in American money) which is extreme for Alicante in March (OK, the
month just started, but still). However, there is plenty of tomatoes of all
types, and the prices are no higher than normal, so the supply problems in
the UK are not weather related. I think somebody screwed up and is using the
cool weather down here as an excuse.

As for the plaque. It is a long story. The restoration of democracy in Spain
following Franco?s death in 1975 was peaceful but perhaps not universally
welcomed. The right wing and the Catholic Church were tightly connected, and
a not insignificant sector of the population would have liked the Fascist
government to have continued with a new head. This did not happen,
fortunately, but in contrast to the democratisation process in places like
South Africa or Poland, there was no reckoning with the perpetrators of
human rights violations of the previous regime?no truth and reconciliation
commission, no judicial proceedings, just a tacit agreement to sweep things
under the rug and move on. This was known as the ?Pacto del Olvido? (?the
pact to forget?) and until recent years it was rarely questioned. Only in
the past decade has there been serious movement towards a more normal
treatment of the past, as evidenced by the removal of Franco?s body from the
hideous mausoleum he had built outside Madrid (he is now buried in a normal
family plot) and installation of memorials like our plaque in Alicante.
Still, there are still street names and symbols harking back to the
dictatorship.

Like I said, this is all complicated, intermingled with issues of Catalan
nationalism, the role of the church, etc. Lluis, who has actually lived in
Spain during the dictatorship and through the transition and subsequent
years, may have a much richer perspective than I.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
photo at frozenlight.eu