Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 6/10/2022: Kaisa and the Nobel Prize
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:57:22 +0200

It seems a long time since I posted?although I realise it was just a week or
so ago. I am busy right now; my sister and brother-in-law are visiting from
Poland, I have been busy scanning 6 rolls of film that I had developed
recently, and this thing called work also keeps intruding. But anyway, here
is a photo from the office last week that does NOT involve eating and
drinking.

Kaisa is one of our seconded national experts, on loan for 4 years from the
Royal Library in Stockholm. As a book person and a Swede, she is of course
very interested in who wins the Nobel Prize for literature. She came to our
office in August of last year, and a couple of weeks after her arrival she
asked me: ?how come nobody seems excited about the upcoming Nobel
announcements?? So she did something about it: she booked a meeting room,
set up her computer with the big screen, and a group of us gather to watch
Abdulrazak Gurnah win the 2021 prize. I had not heard of him, and neither
had many other people, but that has surely changed since then. I have
several books of his now, and I consider him a truly great writer. It helps
that I am a fan of African literature in general.

This year, Kaisa repeated the exercise, and so last Thursday at lunchtime,
we watched the announcement of French writer Annie Ernaux as the 2022
laureate. In this case, I had heard of her, although I admit to never having
read any of her books, something that will be rectified shortly. In any
event, here is Kaisa explaining the proceedings about to happen to our
little group:

https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wpj3wr7/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wpj3wr7/A>

Cheers,