Subject: [Leica] [IMGs] [PESO]: A story, a question and some acrobats.
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:13:17 +0100

All,

A few days ago I was at Goodwood watching a band on a stage in front of
me. I suddenly realised that the framework next to me (which I had
largely ignored) was being readied for some kind of spectacle.
It turned out to be a pair of acrobats on a high wire.

Being a good LUGer I had only my Fuji XE-2 (I don't use the IIIf much
and the M3 is being repaired), with standard lens.

The nearest performer turned out to be a free-spinning acrobat suspended
from a wire about 10m up. Her colleague was a tightrope walker, with his
platform about 20 - 30m from me. Together they put on an amazing show.

It was entirely in the open air on a dark spring night with the only
lighting from spots and the nearby stage and at times lots of smoke
from nearby fires.

Here's a question: What would you have done? Would you (a) just watch
the show; (b) shoot and see what happens?

Again, being a good LUGer I chose (b), span the ISO to 1600, set it to
Auto and shot. All were in colour, but I have converted to B&W and done
a bit of work on.

These are the results (quality isn't that good, but...):

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Acrobats_Goodwood_1_edited1.jpg.html>

It opened with her spinning up, she span faster and faster making the
wire vibrate which made him shake a little but he stayed on!

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Acrobat_Goodwood_2_edited-1.jpg.html>

The tightrope walker sets off:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Tightrope_Walker_2_edited-1.jpg.html>

Then advances:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/DSCF2251_Tightrope_walker.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Tightrope_Walker_Goodwood_2_edited-1.jpg.html>

Stops and then hangs upside down from the wire!

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Rightrope_walker_upside_down_edited-1.jpg.html>

Climbs back on the wire, lays flat along it and starts to rotate!

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Tightrope_Walker_edited-2.jpg.html>

(the strobe-like effect is presumably caused by the combination of the
spots, the smoke and the camera sensor) and then he stands on his head!

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PESO2011/Acrobats_Goodwood_2_edited-1.jpg.html>

Anyway, it was a fun exercise. I hope you like some of them at least.

As always CC&Cs welcome.

Peter
--

Dr. Peter Dzwig