Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ice on Twig now Van Morrison
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:15:56 +0530

This is from his seminal first album called Astral Weeks, which was cut in
very strange circumstances, with a pickup band of jazz greats - bassist
Richard Davis, drummer Connie Kay and guitarist Jay Berliner - none of whom
had ever played with Morrison prior to this session. The strings were added
in later by the record producer. The whole album was cut in a couple of
days, and the stars seem to have been right, because the result was an
album turned out as a masterpiece, totally unlike any other ever made
before or since, and comfortably makes most critics lists of "The Best Rock
Albums". Van suddenly, out of nowhere, had a concert of the whole album at
the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago, with Davis and Berliner in tow - Connie
Kay (long time drummer of the legendary Modern Jazz Quartet) had died by
then, which is the version I had posted. The whole album is really a duet
between Morrison and Davis, at its heart.

Today, with 100% recency bias, he is being pilloried mightily for his
strident anti Covid vaccine stance, but in my mind, that does not dim the
resplendent glory of his music. After all, has anybody stopped listening to
Wagner, a raving anti semetic?

Cheers
Jayanand