Subject: [Leica] Abandonded - week 2
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:12:03 -0600

For different reasons the same thing is happening to older homes in urban
settings.  Heirs and assigns take a while to settle out of probate while
the property molders.  Then the developers work to put in the maximum value
structure(s) possible, frequently taking years to wend their way through
the permitting process.  I can't really argue with the demolition as the
old structures are defective in almost all respects regarding plumbing,
electrical, and energy efficiency.  What bothers me is the waste of
materials, the bead board is mostly solid first growth pine and very usable
today.  The same with the major structural beams.  I do understand labor
vs. value and the time value of storing materials; I just believe we
undervalue the older wood compared to the industrial forests we have today.

Now, with people discovering the disadvantages of living in crowded cities
when we have an airborne disease vector, I believe that rural areas within
reasonable time distance to cities will become very valuable.  Our own Tina
has vastly enjoyed her farm, maybe not the time taken to get where she and
Tom are now but the clean water, much better food, and raising their own
farm animals is very life enhancing.

This will be a good series for you.  I enjoyed the detail of decrepitude.