Subject: [Leica] M Focusing,,,,,,
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:00:13 -1000

To celebrate the intro of the M11, I took my M240 for a spin yesterday.? I
use the Visoflex all the time to allow me to see the image.. the VF lines
are fine, but I like the idea of seeing 100% of the actual composition.

This presents a dilemma.... how to focus.? Use the Visoflex?? Use the RF??
You DO have a choice.....

Note that I do not use the focus peaking function as I believe it is the
LEAST accurate focusing method at working apertures.

What I learned, yet again, that the easiest and most accurate focusing is
ALWAYS through the lens at full open aperture.... ie, using the Visoflex.
This method has no mechanical error issues.? It is also the slowest.... and
less accurate when focusing at working apertures of F5.6-11 that I usually
shoot.? Increased DOF has its costs!

I always use the focus fully open system..... open lens up to focus, after
focus is set, I must change the aperture to the selected value....

What I learned is that by focusing with the RF, then switching to the
Visoflex for final scene selection, the results are more convenient and
enjoyable.? Not faster, but I can live with that in my landscape/travel type
of shooting.? The lens is always set to working aperture.

Using the Leica M (or R) Glass with Sony A7, or any other camera ( SL,
SL-2,Sls), is a simpler method, if you are going to focus at working
aperture.

Ideal is to always shoot fully open.? But that is less ideal to creative DOF.

Hint Leica:?? an EVF that uses the entire frame EVF (through the lens) and a
magnified RF Patch, in the corner, that is optical, and allows for a
greater user experience.

Alternate opinions? Experiences?

--

Frank Filippone