Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 17/12/2021: inside Alicante's town hall
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:18:29 +0100

This is my response to the ?Is anybody there? thread on the LUG. I am very
much here, working, cycling and taking pictures every day.

The other day I was walking around in the centre to look at the Christmas
lights, and found myself outside Alicante's town hall. The door was open and
people were going in to have a look at something, so I did as well. And what
I saw was a nice nativity scene display in the main lobby, with the figures
made by local artists?this is very much a thing here, as evidenced by the
poster of the association of ?belenistas? (bel?n means nativity scene):
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-DgSLhj7/A

The central detail:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-TTHhPgp/A

And a delightful bonus. At the bottom of the grand staircase the leads to
the ceremonial rooms there is a sculpture of St. John the Baptist, made by
Salvador Dal?:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-PzkXtnv/A

For readers in the US: you may be surprised at such religious symbols in a
town hall. Spain does not have the kind of sharp legal separation of Church
and state as does the US, so a nativity scene in a public building is fine.
In practice though, religion intrudes much less on public life in this
country than it does in the US.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman