Subject: [Leica] Sonic Bonnet
From: cartersxrd at gmail.com (RicCarter)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:25:20 -0400

Locomotives are diesel/electric, using a 4000+hp diesel engine to drive a
alternator which feeds power to the electric drive motors in the individual
axles. All electric trains are around, but require the delivery of
electricity to the engine through overehead wires or a third rail.

here is a short reference on AC vs DC motors taken from a train list
(Trains.com)

D.C.:  The engine drives an A.C. main generator, which generates A.C.
current rectified to D.C. by diodes that powers D.C. traction motors.  The
advantage is significantly lower initial cost.  Disadvantages are higher
maintenance costs for the traction motors, less tractive effort at low
speeds (less than ~ 11 mph).

A.C.:  The engine drives the same A.C. main generator, which generates A.C.
current rectified to D.C. by diodes.  From that point it differs: the D.C.
current is converted to A.C. which powers A.C. traction motors.  The
advantages and disadvantages are opposite a D.C. locomotive. (You might be
wondering why the A.C. locomotive goes from A.C. to D.C. and back to A.C.;
the answer is that the D.C. rectification provides "clean" current that the
invertors can use to create the proper frequency needed by the traction
motors. The reason the main generator is A.C. and not D.C. is that D.C.
generators are too large, too expensive, and too complex once horsepower
climbs past 2,000 or so.)

North American railroads such as BNSF, UP, and KCS have determined that A.C.
is more cost-effective for heavy-haul trains such as coal, and D.C. more
cost-effective for all other trains.  NS has favored D.C. for everything and
CSX A.C. for everything.  The decision is based on the physical
characteristics of the railroad, the operating plan, and the traffic mix.

The only difference in the way A.C. and D.C. run is that a train powered
with A.C. locomotives can have a very low horsepower-per-ton ratio and still
move without exceeding the heating limits on the traction motors.  A.C.
motors in fact can run to a stall at full current without damaging the
motors, whereas D.C. motors will quickly overheat at low speeds and full
current and experience fatal damage.

The "e" in SD70ACe stands for "enhanced'; it is a major redesign of the
previous SD70MAC but shares the same basic specifications, horsepower, and
prime mover.

ric