Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lindbergh who?
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 01:48:25 +0100

All the others competing for the Orteig prize from NY to Paris were not
flying solo, and Lindbergh considered his solo flight in a far more
streamlined, efficient and modern aircraft with a better power to weight
ratio than the older and much less aerodynamic Vickers Vimy flown by
Alcock and Brown, made more sense in terms of winning the prize, opted
for solo status. I know he later proved to be an "isolationist", but
going solo was not a necessary requisite for winning the prize :-)

Lindbergh knew that the trip was very feasible, but Alcock and Brown, as
the first fliers to ACTUALLY fly across the Atlantic ocean, were very
much the true pioneers. Lindbergh while a brave man, just knew how to
shout about it better, utilising the explosion of popular radio
broadcasting in the 1920s, to a more receptive population, wrapped up in
American exceptionalism.

In May 2027, the fanfare about Lindbergh's flight centenary will
probably have nothing about the earlier pioneering flight by Alcock and
Brown, but such is life.

Of course, in April 2028, the first East/West flight across the Atlantic
by the "Bremen" will have its centenary. This almost forgotten
achievement took off from the Irish Air Corps base at Baldonnel in
Dublin and had to battle the prevailing winds to land on Greenly Island
between Newfoundland and Labrador. It probably won't be remembered much
either. Sixteen years later, my uncle took off from the same aerodrome
and never returned. He was killed when he crashed his Miles M14 Magister
into a tree about 7 miles away. His hero was James Fitzmaurice the
co-pilot of the "Bremen" and an officer in the Irish Air Corps.

Douglas
who also took off from Baldonnel, but in a glider launched by car tow.