Subject: [Leica] Sothebys photo auction
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 12:17:04 +0100

Yes I like a lot of the prints, Jayanand, but, as to prices, with the
inflation stag about to roar, the prices will go up until the artist
falls out of fashion. However, trying to persuade my wife that such an
enjoyable investment for me should make economic sense for her, is a
difficult task! Who's going to go out of fashion? Hard to know. Most
photographers have a good back story that only embellishes their
reputation - like Winogrand. If they are dead, so much the better, as
they can't do anything that might scare off the Woke market segment.

On Americana photography, aside from the Winogrand print I mentioned, I
also like the Kansas City, 1965 image by? Lee Friedlander with the bull
statue looking right with the plane overhead and going left. It was
taken here
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1011146,-94.590445,3a,75y,285.5h,86.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLJahW30HWLsKoXzLQhQpRA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
on 11th St. and it appears the bull was taken down and moved to a nearby
park in 2002. You can see the empty plinth in the distance.

Now if you could persuade the city authorities to put a statue of
Friedlander up on top of it, it would his print prices up...

Douglas