Subject: [Leica] Guerrilla Filter Removal
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 15:19:31 -1000

Not GORILLA, guerilla.

A few weeks ago I write up my problems in removing a filter from my lens.

Well, today, I have a new, different, solution:

You can purchase removal tools for this....?? It is usually either a single
piece of material? (plastic of metal)? that closes like a pair of
pliers... pinching the filter in its jaws, around the circumference.? You
need 2 to make this tool work? Or it is a silicon or hard rubber tool that
has a thick rubber or metal back that allows you to turn the filter off, by
using equal pressure around the entire rim of the filter from the front of
the stuck filter.? The first one sometimes works, the second almost always
works.

But, if you are in the jungle ( someplace not home) getting to a tool to
helps is almost impossible.? But wait, here is the new solution:

Go to a hardware store or a plumbing store.? Ask for a flapper valve
replacement seal (gasket).? It is doughnut shaped item, usually made from
silicone, about a tenth of an inch thick.? Find one that is bigger than your
filter... they usually come in different models in different sizes.? Find
the right one. (cost is usually $5 or less....).? You really want a silicone
one, not a rubber one.? Silicone is usually almost transparent, but may
have a color cast.? Light will not pass through a rubber ring.

Place the ring on a flat surface (table top?), put lens with stuck filter on
this ring (everything is upside down,)? and turn the lens as you apply
light downward pressure.? ..... the filter will loosen.

Silicone has the right properties to stock to the filter as it is turned.

--

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] Guerrilla Filter Removal)