Subject: [Leica] Birds Week 12
From: cartersxrd at gmail.com (RicCarter)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 15:35:46 -0400

I just read this this morning, from Birding in North Carolina on facebook.

So info on this colr variation:

Soon, the White-throated Sparrows will leave North Carolina for their
breeding grounds in New England and Canada.
With their cheerful calls sounding out over the fields, it?s been lovely to
have them here for the winter.
They are nice looking birds with that stripe pattern on their heads dotted
with a spot of yellow between their eyes and beak.
Interestingly, the White throated Sparrow comes in two different color
morphs of stripes on their heads, white or tan.
* The first photo in this post show the white striped color morph, the
second shows the tan striped one.
Though they look different from one another, they?re indeed the same species
of bird. That being said, there are some noticeable behavioral differences
noted between the two color morphs.
Studies have shown that though they aren?t the best parent?s, male White
striped sparrows will sing louder and more frequently to attract a mate,
breed with several females per season and also are more aggressive about
defending their territory against rivals and predators.
 The tan striped males tend to be quieter, less aggressive birds who happen
to be more nurturing parents since they share in the feeding of the chicks
with a single chosen female which may lead to greater success rate of nests
long term.
Considering these differences you?d think that the species would struggle to
do as well as a whole.
Yet, White throated Sparrows of both color morphs are indeed thriving.
But how?
As it turns out, opposites attract.
In fact, females of either morphs prefer to mate with the tan striped males
whereas the males of both color morphs prefer to breed with the white
striped females.
Though this scenario makes for a complicated dating situation for sure,
(lol!) it is through the process of preferential mate selection by both
color morphs that the characteristics of weakness and strength cancel each
other out to create a stronger single species.
It?s a neat example of the balance of life.

ric