Subject: [Leica] IMG: Old photo, old place, old me
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 13:10:59 +0000

My wife was sorting through old prints and came across this one of me
taken at a race start in July 1985. The place is the old Paddock Lake at
Djouce Woods, Co. Wicklow. The lake used to be a great place for a swim
after a long walk in the hills, and especially after a race.
I say used to as it's now completely gone. Hurricane Charlie hit Ireland
in August 1986 with incredible winds and ferocious rain. The dam built
in 1838 by the 6th Lord Powerscourt to create the lake couldn't take the
pressure, and burst, flooding the town of Bray over six miles away and
600 feet below. The dam has never been replaced.
The photo was taken by a press photographer, and I'm just behind the
leader in a white running vest and dark shorts with more hair and
looking a lot fitter than I am now.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Sport/Athletics/Hiil+race+start+July+1985+Paddock+Lake+Djouce+Woods+M.jpg.html

Douglas