Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 20/3/2021: three Mercado Central vignettes
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 07:01:28 +0100

Going to the Mercado Central here in Alicante used to be one of my customary
Saturday morning pleasures, often more to look than to buy. During the
pandemic I have been going much less often; the layout of the market is such
that keeping the 2 meters distance is virtually impossible, and I found it a
generally unpleasant experience in the circumstances. But now that I have
had the Covid myself, I am less concerned for my own safety, and also I have
to say that compliance with the sanitary measures (masks, hand cleaning
etc.) is quite exemplary. So on Saturday I walked around the Mercado a bit.
I was pleased to see that some of the posts that had gone out of business
last time I was there in the autumn have now reopened under new management.
The character of the market is slowly changing; there are now several small
bars and caf?s like in the Boquer?a in Barcelona, something that did not
exist at all a year ago. There are also a couple of new higher-end shops,
such as one selling good coffee from around the world (I have never had
Cuban coffee!), and one selling products from Germany, where I bought some
excellent bratwurst from Baden-W?rtemberg. As always, much of the pleasure
is to photograph the more traditional part of the food. I choose B&W for
these 3 images, just because I felt like it.

Seafood counter:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-H7HfDFn/A

More seafood?that pulpo looks really good:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-RvcQ6dW/A

Not for the squeamish, goat or sheep heads (I think the latter, but I am no
expert on such things):
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-8zRSC5G/A
(I also had no idea what people do with these, but obviously there must be a
demand for them since they being sold).

After all this, I cooked a vegan dinner last night, a Japanese aubergine
curry.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Nathan's PAD 20/3/2021: three Mercado Central vignettes)