Subject: [Leica] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 20:50:02 +0100

Yesterday, I participated in a 200 km brevet, organised by a local cycling
club. The route is here:
https://www.openrunner.com/r/9304251?fbclid=IwAR0U5RYln7CnKY1WKGpH_f409pWAnSjILfWHOvaeLJ2mKRE8TO6caX0-48Y

A brevet is a type of bicycle race that is not a race. It does not matter
who comes first. You get a medal as long as you check in at the checkpoints
within the defined time windows, and you have to complete the ride within
the maximum time, which for a 200 km ride is 13.5 hours. There are other
rules; for example, you are not allowed to receive any assistance along the
route except from other participants (so no spouse following you in a car
with tools and refreshments). The rules of the sport are regulated
world-wide by the mother club in Paris, where this flavour of cycling was
defined more than 100 years ago.

Usually, a route sheet (the brevet) is handed out before the ride, and you
are expected to have it stamped in the villages that are defined as
checkpoints (usually at a gas station or convenience store). But in these
Covid times, we were supposed to use selfies instead, so there are a couple
of cheesy photos of me in the gallery. The first 100 km of the ride were
quite hard because the terrain was hilly?but also pretty. The second 100 km
were easier because it was flat.

I took a few pics along the way besides the required selfies:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Brevet-200-km-Alicante-Sur-2021/

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike)
Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (RicCarter) ([Leica] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike)