Subject: [Leica] another walk in the park
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 21:16:44 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Today I returned to the floodplain I had visited a couple of days ago.  The
thing than is certain about a visit to this park is very little is certain.

After a cold front moved through last night the air was rather cold

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/cervidae/odocoileus/hemionus/odohem14.html

A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks is showing signs of re-using last year's
nest.  Typical of raptors in the Buteo genus it can be observed flying
overhead but it's more at home in a forested environment than others of its
genus

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/buteo/lineatus/butlin16.html

An Acorn Woodpecker is remodeling an older nest cavity

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/melanerpes/formicivorus/melfor17.html

I found the sapsucker near the tree it had been foraging in two days ago but
today it was less accommodating.  OTOH a female Nuttall's Woodpecker found
the sapsucker's sap wells and was enjoying a free lunch

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/dryobates/nuttallii/drynut12.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/dryobates/nuttallii/drynut13.html

All comments are welcome.

Doug Herr