Subject: [Leica] Antenna vs. roof
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:34:53 -0800

Thanks to all who replied.  Aram, I haven?t forgotten *all* my high school
trig. Besides, my friends say I often go off on a tangent.  So... I used
this method:
 <
https://gabrielhemery.com/how-to-calculate-tree-height-using-a-smartphone/>
I made several angular measurements.  I tossed out the most extreme and
averaged the rest. There was some uncertainty about how far back from my
roof peak the neighbor?s roof is. The result is that the neighbor?s roof is
somewhere between 1.5 feet higher and 0.5 feet lower than my tower mast.

While the precise figure is within my error of measurement, I do know now
that three more feet of mast will get an antenna higher than the roof. I can
do that with a 5 foot piece of PVC pipe hose-clamped to the existing mast. I
can jerry-rig that for a ?proof of concept.?  If that works well, then I can
invest in something more permanent.

Brian on the LUG and Moose on the Oly list have tempted me greatly with
visions of laser-based measuring devices. Thanks, guys!  If I get one, it
can be my very own Jewish Space Laser. With a little help from the Germans
or the Chinese!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN1TSGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/laser-measures-glm165-40-187965-p/

--Peter, dictating to my iPad