Subject: [Leica] Exciting News!
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 12:45:31 -0500

Last month, the Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne announced that
they were offering grants of up to $2500 to help artists in Fort Wayne who
have lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The grant, called
"Re-Imagining Your Artistic Practice," was to be used to pay for things that
would help the funded artists make money during the pandemic. Examples they
gave could include things like having a website built or buying equipment.

Before COVID, a big part of my income was teaching photography lessons to
individuals. I stopped doing this because I don't want to meet with people
and risk getting sick, as I have a history of getting nasty respiratory
infections even before COVID. I have a tutorials website that includes
written tutorials and videos where I teach a variety of photographic
techniques, including film developing, scanning, and digital photo editing.

The videos that have me in them, like the film developing tutorials, don't
look as good as they could because of poor lighting. The studio lighting I
had was a set of studio strobes, which are not suitable for video work; I
needed a set of good LED studio lights, so I wrote a grant proposal asking
for the money to buy some.

Last week, I received a check for $2500! I finally got a set of two lights
and a couple of stands for them yesterday. I don't want to do any videos yet
because I have been sick for more than a month now with a bronchial
infection that just won't go away, despite repeated antibiotic treatments.
So, I did a studio 'portrait' of some of my cameras, just to test the lights
to see if they worked well and had good color rendering.

Here?s the photo I made:

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/examples/led-studio/images/3050053.jpg

Here's the setup I used to make the photo. Nothing fancy, just a quick shot
on my dining room table.

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/examples/led-studio/images/3050017.jpg

--

Chris Crawford