Subject: [Leica] E.M. Baltes Building
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 03:29:32 -0500

There have been a few around here. I know of two brick one-room schoolhouses
that have been moved to save them from demolition. One sat on land owned by
American Electric Power (they had a substation next to the building) and
they wanted it gone. The company donated the building to Southwest Allen
County Schools, the public school district where it was located. SWACS
wanted it moved to one of their modern schools a couple hundred feet down
the road from the original location, and if I remember right, AEP paid for
the move, too. After it was moved, SWACS had it restored to original
condition inside and out, complete with genuine school desks from the period
when it was built. They use it to teach kids about what school was like 100
years ago.

http://www.sacs.k12.in.us/about_sacs/our_history

The other one was home to a hair salon, and it was moved because a developer
wanted the land it was on to build a shopping center. The owner made a deal
where the developer moved the building to a spot next to the new shopping
center's entrance, where the salon would get a lot more traffic than before.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 12/23/20, 5:05 PM, "LUG on behalf of John McMaster"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
john at mcmaster.co.uk> wrote:

    Cool, not really known of brick buildings being moved - seen plenty of
wooden ones moved.

    john

    ?On 23/12/2020, 21:30, "LUG on behalf of Christopher Crawford"
<lug-bounces+john=mcmaster.co.uk at leica-users.org on behalf of chris at
chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:

        This 120 year old building in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana has been
moved twice in the last couple years. I made this photograph soon after it
arrived in its current location, where it is going to be repurposed as a
restaurant.

        https://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=3366

        Leica IIIf Red Dial and 90mm Elmar

        --