Subject: [Leica] all the best to your wife and yourself
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:28:56 +0000

Dear Brian,
Tough times for your wife and yourself! Thanks for sharing your story. I do
hope she will get a full recovery reasonably soon. The pain is an issue and
painkillers do not always do the job properly. Bon courage ? vous deux!
JM

Jean-Michel Mertz
68750 - Bergheim

________________________________
De : LUG <lug-bounces+j2m46=hotmail.fr at leica-users.org> de la part de
Brian Reid <reid at mejac.carlsbad.ca.us>
Envoy? : lundi 21 d?cembre 2020 16:38
? : Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
Objet : [Leica] thank you all

Bill, thank you for keeping LUGgers informed of my wife's accident and
thanks to all of you for your good wishes and flower pictures.

I must spend the day today seeing to the rental of a medical bed, a
wheelchair, a walker, and other such "durable medical goods" that we
will need for her convalescence. The layout of this house is such that
she will need to sleep in the living room while she requires the
motorized bed.

I've had family hospitalized before, but this experience was the worst
because I was completely cut off from her. The hospital would not let me
in the door, and was not able to provide me with any information about
her status. No telephone contact, no email, no text messages. Her
surgery was re-scheduled 3 times, but I was never notified. Brutal.

I eventually found the location inside the hospital's online
patient-tracking system in which the doctors filed their notes, and was
able to follow what was happening by reading those notes. It takes a
certain amount of determination to read the notes of an orthopedic
surgeon documenting the use of drills and saws and hammers on your
unconscious spouse.

My favorite entry from the surgeon's notes was "Instrument, sponge, and
needle counts were correct prior to closure and at the conclusion of the
case." Nothing accidentally left inside.

About 4 hours after the end of the procedure I was able to talk to
Victoria on the telephone very briefly, but it was enough to let me
sleep.