Subject: [Leica] M9 Sensor problems...... and a non Leica analysis......
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 17:10:06 +0930

> There is a report on Petapixel that claims a very different cause for the
> replaced sensors.....

Very different to what?  Leica always said that the sensors corroded, they
just never stated explicitly that the glass sensor cover was not coated at
all.  The phrase "delamination" has been used a lot, but not be Leica, but
as far as I can tell "delimination" is not what happens.  I have never seen
a delaminated M9 or MM sensor - the ones I have seen had epoxy failure and
the cover fell off, or the glass corroded.  The spectral response of the
camera makes it almost certain that Leica used Schott S8612 for the
coverglass:
https://shop.schott.com/advanced_optics/Products/Optical-Filter-Glass/Matt-Filter-Plates/Bandpass-%28NIR-cut-2%29/S8612/c/matt-plate/glass-S8612
-
Schott's data sheet for this glass states clearly that it corrodes if you
expose it to the environment.  Maybe Leica didn't figure how quickly, or
badly.  But, as they say, mistakes happen.

The Petapixal article is a re-quote/use of:
https://www.maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras/leica-m9

Last week I bought an M9 for $US425 with a highly corroded sensor:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/IMG_3206.JPG.html on
which I plan to try to replace the coverglass myself.  If I fail I'll send
it to MaxMax for repair.

Marty

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:10 PM Frank Filippone via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>