Subject: [Leica] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:02:42 +0200

Despite the coronavirus and the difficulty of international travel, we
decided that we needed a bit of a real vacation, but within Spain. So we
have booked a few days at a spa and golf resort in Spain?s northwestern
region Galicia, from today (Monday) until Thursday, which happens to be our
wedding anniversary. We started by driving to Santiago de Compostela on
Friday, an easy 1040 km drive from Alicante on nice motorways with light
traffic. We have been walking around the city, but yesterday we also drive
the 85 km to Spain?s version of Land?s End, Finisterre (or Fisterra in the
local language gallego) to have a look at the famous Cape Finisterre.

As we approached the coast, we passed through the town of Sardi?eira; the
fog was rollling in from the Atlantic. The houses look very different from
our part of Spain?here, the architecture reminded us more of Switzerland and
southern Germany than of our Mediterranean coast:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3MmLDQs/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3MmLDQs/A>

The lighthouse at Cape Finisterre. As is evident, many other people had the
same idea as us. There were no foreign tourists, just people from the
surrounding region and some, like us, from other parts of Spain. The
building next to the lighthouse is now a small hotel and restaurant, where
we had a good lunch:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-dX5zBcS/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-dX5zBcS/A>

Galicia considers itself one of the Celtic nations, and bagpipers can be
seen in Santiago, as well as here in Finisterre:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7Nspsrr/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7Nspsrr/A>

The view of the Atlantic coast from the cape. Today we had extremely benign
weather; in more normal times, this is a severe place, with lots of
shipwrecks at the bottom of the Atlantic:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-chpjPhg/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-chpjPhg/A>

More to come from Santiago and Mondariz, where we are heading this afternoon.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End)
Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (RicCarter) ([Leica] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End)