Subject: [Leica] Tripods.... how to lighten up..... ( way too nerdy for most, , , read at your own risk)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:54:09 -0700

I?ve replaced my old aluminum Series 5 Gitzo (a hand-me-down from a friend)
with carbon fiber, but at 6.9 lbs without head I?m not sure it qualifies as
lightweight.  GT5543XLS.  Enough leg extension to put the camera at eye
level even on the side of a cliff, solid enough for a really big lens.  I?m
using the Acratech long lens head, a pan/tilt head that relies on the lens?
rotating tripod mount for the third degree of freedom.  Unlike a ball head
it doesn?t flop to the side when I adjust the tilt.  It handles a 600mm f/4
easily.  1 lb.  There?s no way I?d have carried the old aluminum model as
often or as far as I?ve carried the CF.

My smaller tripod (also a hand-me-down) is suitable only for seated-level
use, extending the legs or raising the center column makes it far too
wobbly.  It also has an Acratech long lens head.  It?s due for replacement
and carbon fiber is the most likely candidate.  I use a sidekick when I want
a gimbal mount.

One disadvantage of CF is the manufacturer?s recommendation to never leave
it in the car?s trunk especially in hot weather.  More stuff to transport
between the house and the car.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com <http://www.wildlightphoto.com/>