Subject: [Leica] IMG: Calliope Hummingbird again
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 20:56:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Over five years of trial-and-error went into making this photograph.

In the fall of 2015 I learned of this particular spot in the Sierra Nevada
where this species can be reliably found for a few weeks of the year.
Calliope Hummingbirds are elusive at best, they winter south of the USA
border and spend their summers in the western mountains of North America,
visiting the lowlands only briefly during migration.  At my home in eastern
Sacramento County California I've seen this species only once; he hovered in
front of my face for at most 15 seconds then was gone.

This particular mountain meadow is graced with these feisty jewels for a few
weeks beginning in early May, so in 2016 I visited on 04 May, found the
birds and made a few photos.  I was delighted but I wanted more: more pixels
for larger prints, more feather detail.  This is the smallest of the North
American birds, long lenses have long minimum focussing distances and to
make a presentable image a lot of cropping was required.

I also wanted to photograph this bird in overcast light.  Direct sunlight
reflecting off the bird's gorget is clipped by the limited dynamic range of
nearly every image capture medium and is best tamed with diffused overcast
light.  Also, the bird's favorite perch is shaded by a nearby mountain early
in the day when the bird is active, while the background is in full
sunlight.  I wanted a dark forest background, not an overexposed forest
background so early on a sunny day didn't give me the foreground/background
lighting ratio I wanted.  It has to be overcast light, a rarity in
California's spring.

Overcast light also means slower shutter speeds or higher ISO or shallower
DOF, or all three.  I wanted to use as low an ISO as possible, an aperture
that would yield a modicum of DOF and no subject or camera motion for
feather detail.  Did I mention that overcast light in these mountains
usually comes with wind and rain?

Over the next few years incremental improvements in equipment and technique
resulted in incrementally (to my eyes) improvements in the pictures:

A high-MP camera resulted in more pixels-per-bird, but the minimum focus
distance was limited by the old manual-focus 500mm lens, and extension tubes
with long lenses provide only limited benefit.

This mountain meadow is about an hour & a half's drive from home and my
schedule is constrained by family obligations so only day trips have been
practical vs. camping out near the meadow for several days.

Last year my first visit was on a bright sunny day, so no overcast light.
My second visit last year coincided with a late-season snowstorm that
dropped a foot of snow in the mountains, delivering a final crushing blow to
the scraggly skeleton of a willow that had been the hummingbird's favorite
perch.

This year a financial windfall made it possible to replace the old 500mm
lens (a great lens in its time) with a modern 600mm lens with a good
close-focus limit and many handy features.  My first visit was in sunlight,
which I tried to make the best of.  Cool photos, but not what I was looking
for.

bright background:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/selasphorus/calliope/selcal19.html

far away, not enough pixels (and I'm lucky I didn't slide down the mountain):
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/selasphorus/calliope/selcal20.html

bright sunlight, few photos worked past 10 AM because of harsh shadows and
clipped gorget highlights:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/selasphorus/calliope/selcal21.html

I visited again yesterday with a weather forecast of mostly clouds but as
I've mentioned overcast in these mountains often means wind and rain.  The
hummingbird was totally OK with the weather but I didn't feel comfortable
using my equipment in the deluge.

Today's forecast was overcast again and with no rain until late in the day.
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/selasphorus/calliope/selcal22.html

I'm happy with this one.  I would have liked a few light drizzle-drops but
that might be asking for too much.  Maybe next year.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] IMG: Calliope Hummingbird again)