Subject: [Leica] "La Vente de la Louisiane"
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 08:29:32 -0500

Interesting.   I must have gone to school when real history was taught as
what was presented is very much what I learned formally in Eastern Kansas
and informally in Greeneville MS.  I had a conversation with my mother and
grandmother about this general topic of regionalism in the sixties.   Their
general take was that the railroads started the transition slowed way down
by the destruction of the railroads(confederate) during the Civil War but
was rapidly accelerated by radio.   Radio was largely influenced(speaking
about North America) by production in NYC.  Which was in English.
 Dominate language trends to drown out the non dominate language and
culture.

My grandmother had a pretty good perspective as she came to Mississippi as
a little girl from Eastern Nebraska and had to adopt to the very different
culture of the southern US.  Her family was still heavily influenced by NE
US culture as extended family was deeply tied through land and education
(Harvard Law) family in the US since the Mayflower(incidentally crew member
not part of the compact).

Summarizing,  whether correct or not the education system propagandized
English and relevant culture as regionalism was being vastly reduced by
mass communication and the increasing force of the Federal government.
Things like the Corp of Engineers work on the Mississippi River after the
1927 flood and the need for a central response during the 1930's economic
devastation.  However,  in the late fifties and early sixties what was
discussed in the article was taught in at least some schools.