Subject: [Leica] My First Rhodo!
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 13:51:07 +0100

Nice Rhododenron Ponticum, Wayne, but over here, while they're
passionately loved by gardeners, they're regarded with deep suspicion
and distrust by walkers and fans of of our natural oak forests.

My wife comes from Killarney, Co. Kerry and the regrowth of magnificent
oaks in the national park there are threatened by the choking swarm of
invasive rhodos which, in only a hundred odd years have jumped from the
formal gardens of Muckross House into the natural deciduous forests that
abutt it.

Many walkers, including myself, used to brighten up their strolls in the
forests by pulling up young rhodos by the roots to slow down the the
creeping infestation that darkened and swallowed the forest floor. We
were only helping the efforts of the park rangers who organised summer
camps of students to attack and remove huge dense swathes of them from
under the mature trees and give the young oak seedlings a chance to
reach the light. Unfortunately, it's probably a battle that the rhodos
will win.

Good shot though :-)

Douglas