Subject: [Leica] A bias when collecting photographs
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 14:42:42 -0700

The 8x10 prints (actually 7 1/2 x 9 1/2) were all printed by Alan
Ross.... Who I got to meet several years ago...? These prints are called
" Ansel Adams Yosemite Special Edition" prints.?? They are all marked as
such.

The story is that Alan was a employee of Adams, and when he wanted to
leave, he either negotiated or was given the exclusive rights to print
some./ many / a few of Ansel's negatives.? All were the same size.

Over the years, i was able to buy a few (at $20 or so each, even as a 20
something, they were affordable).? I think they sell for $125 now....
maybe more?? ( I checked... $350 each!)

Anyway, the prints were made by Alan Ross.? I had heard that he had made
a copy negative that was perfect... no burn in no dodging, just a
straight print from this special constructed negative....

When I met Alan, I asked him about the story.... he told me that there
was no copy negative, that the prints were all made form Ansel's
original negative, complete with him following Adams's instructions on?
dodging and burn in.? Individually printed.? ( however, in production,
one after the other).

That's the story..... Fact?? Fiction? Protective of his position and income?

I will never know.....? But the story is one I iwill always cherish....
Ross is a really nice gent.

Frank Filippone

Frank Filippone BMWRed735i at gmail.com

Replies: Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] A bias when collecting photographs)