Subject: [Leica] IMG: Some Spanish folklore
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 13:23:22 +0200

Today, April 23rd, is a special day in some parts of Spain. In Catalonia it
is Diada de Sant Jordi, St. George?s Day. It is also celebrated elsewhere in
Spain, but in Barcelona it has some special traditions, with young women
giving books to young men, receiving flowers in return. Lluis has shown it
to us in the past. Sadly, this year, with everyone locked up, there will be
no merriment in public.

Here in Alicante, we have a local holiday called Santa Faz. The main event
is a pilgrimage from the cathedral in the centre to a monastery on the
outskirts which houses an important relic, a piece of cloth supposedly used
to wipe Jesus?s face on the cross. More than 100,000 people usually take
part and it is a great spectacle, a mix of religion, fiesta and local
folklore. Sadly, not this year. To remind myself of what once was and
hopefully will be again, I post my galleries from 2013 and from last year:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Santa-Faz-2013/
<https://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Santa-Faz-2013/>

https://www.greatpix.eu/Santa-Faz-2019/
<https://www.greatpix.eu/Santa-Faz-2019/>

The main change in those 6 years was that some time in 2017 or 18, police
cracked down on the huge drinking party on the beach after the pilgrimage.
The young people still massively go down to the beach in the afternoon, but
now it is without the shopping carts filled with booze and snacks.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

Replies: Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: Some Spanish folklore)