Subject: [Leica] Photo awards etc
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 22:47:21 +0530

I have been collecting art since the late 1980s, and it has given me the
highest compounded return of all my investments, including equity. I
switched from paintings to original photographic prints around 20 years ago
- easier to store, and cheaper to buy.

The problem about investing in art is that the bid/offer spread is so high
(25-30%), that it takes you 5-10 years to break even. So, be prepared for
20+ years of ownership. Even if you had purchased a Warhol 40 years ago,
would you have held on to it till today? It is debatable. Art prices tend
to rise in spurts, and lie dormant and flat for long periods of time, and
there is really no good price discovery mechanism for even the moderately
expensive stuff. Therefore only caveat I suggest is to buy stuff you think
you can look at on your walls for 25 years....

Cheers
Jayanand