Subject: [Leica] OT: Upgrade Win7-10?
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 20:59:29 -0700

Since there are many fellow computer mavens on the LUG and Olympus
lists, let me pose this question.? I am still running Windows 7. The
COVID-19 situation means a I'm stuck at home, which would seemingly make
it an ideal time to upgrade. But, if something goes wrong, then I'm
without everything for which I rely on my computer until I can fix it,
during a time when support or hardware might not be readily available.?
My concerns includes hardware drivers, and software I use all the time
(Capture One v. 10, music notation software and ham radio software).? I
have good backups of all my data, but not full backups of my entire setup.

My computer is a Dell Optiplex 980 tower desktop, about 6 years old,
with 8GB of RAM, two conventional hard drives, a replacement Dell video
card and a third-party USB 3.0 card. It is not certified for Win10, but
perusals of the Dell support site have turned up a significant number of
remarks that? "the upgrade went fine."

I could upgrade, I could wait until the pandemic is over, or I could
wait until I need a new computer.? I know "official" support for Win7 is
over. But I suspect that many corporate setups have stayed on Win7 just
like they stayed on WinXP earlier.? I don't think Microsoft would let
them all die if some major Win7 malware appeared.? And I run a good
virus checker (Trend OfficeScan).

Advice welcome.? Thanks.
--Peter

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] OT: Upgrade Win7-10?)