Subject: [Leica] Home from London
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 09:17:33 -0400

Welcome home, Brian. After seeing the horror videos from Dulles or wherever,
I think you?re lucky. Where was your port of entry, SeaTac?

For a good week my brother in Texas and I were struggling with whether to go
ahead with our trip to Australia ? he and his family to depart last Friday
and I to fly to join them this coming Saturday. Thursday night we decided
against it after hoping some deus ex machina would take the decision out of
our hands, like QANTAS announcing that it would refund the cost of fares
canceled due to the outbreak.

Ha!

My brother went ahead and canceled with QANTAS, but has to pay $250/traveler
for the privilege, and must travel within one year ? not one year from the
canceled departure, not one year from canceling, but the ?shortest? year
possible, i.e., one year from the original booking date! For them this means
by next October, meaning they can?t do the trip at Christmas, as they?d have
liked. Other travelers doubtless booked their flights long before he did,
and may not even be able to fly before this crisis is over, losing all their
money. And what about all those who were going to Australia for a specific
event, like a professional meeting?

Before I canceled my flight (which I still haven?t done, both because of
interminable wait times at AMEX Travel, which made my reservations and
therefore has to be the one to cancel them, and in hope of an emergency
policy that would allow a simple refund as the situation becomes more dire),
Australia had instituted a 14-day self-quarantine period for foreigners.
QANTAS loosened its policy to the extent of waiving the pure-profit change
fee. According to the QA website, re-booked travel still must be within one
year of the original booking date.

Can anyone think of a good reason, other than the fact that they pretty much
have the lion?s share of the U.S.-to-Oz route, for QANTAS to be so predatory
in a time of global pandemic and their own government?s travel restrictions
on tourists? Ye gods, I know their profits are gonna plummet, but what about
all those travelers who can?t travel that soon or were going to go Down
Under for a one-time event? They?re screwed! Most travel insurance, unless
one of the expensive all-cause policies, doesn?t cover pandemics.

Hopefully, time, public shame, and maybe even Australian (or Trumpian?)
intervention will cause QA to fully participate in the global crisis instead
of trying to monetize it, which is exactly how I see this policy. The
airline knows full well that a large percentage of us who had paid thousands
to tens of thousands of dollars for their flights will end up not traveling
within the year, or not going at all, forfeiting all that money and reducing
the chance that the QANTAS CEO will have to take a pay cut.

On a related note ? my younger son and his fianc?e had planned a wedding in
Italy at a picturesque little church in a romantic town overlooking the
Adriatic at the end of May. Now they?re thinking about some town hall in
Maui. (My first reaction is, ?Poor kids! What a terrible disappointment
after a year of anticipation!?. Then I think, ? Flying to Hawaii for a
wedding and honeymoon? Poor kids!)

I?m pissed. But I guess my family?s various woes are a very first-world
aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic. Somewhat more substantive worries are the
fact that I?m at risk just due to age, and my son is in the highest risk
group of all ? he?s an ER doc.

?howard