Subject: [Leica] Uluru 2
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 18:26:05 +0530

The second installment of Uluru photographs comes from a gigantic art
installation called the Field of Dreams, which is acres of open land
densely packed with LED bulbs of various colours. It switched on at dusk,
and switched off at dawn. Unfortunately, no tripods are allowed into the
area, or in the viewing galleries. Because of this, and the fact that
descending darkness forced high exposure times, I decided to experiment by
moving the camera around during exposure. I am a fan of the Abstract
Expressionist school of painting, and this method, to me, seemed to
duplicate the spontaneity in creation that the group believed in.

Before I start, another point. I had always believed that IBIS would not be
of much use to me. I was totally wrong. The IBIS on the Nikon Z7 is akin to
magic. Here are three examples, all hand held:

1/6s @ f4 at 70mm:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/sydney/Australia-20200114-571.jpg.html

1/2s @ f4 at 70mm:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-753.jpg.html

0.8s @ f4 at 24mm:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-766.jpg.html

Back to the Field of Dreams. This is what the field looked like when we
reached there, with Uluru looming in the background:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-682.jpg.html

While we waited for dusk, imbibing bubbly and canapes, a waitress moved
across - also taken at 1/6s:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-709.jpg.html

As dusk fell the lights were switched on, and this is the straight shot:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-723.jpg.html

As it got darker, I started experimenting, moving my camera in various
directions, laterally and in circular motion, as well as zooming in and out
during exposure, trying to get pure colour abstractions. I am ambivalent
about the results, but these are some I liked:

Tunnel:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-763b.jpg.html

Zoom 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-729.jpg.html

Zoom 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-728.jpg.html

Lateral 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-725b.jpg.html

Lateral 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-737b.jpg.html

Antenna 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-738b.jpg.html

Antenna 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-746.jpg.html

Wave 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-748b.jpg.html

Wave 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/auatralia/uluru/Australia-20200116-749b.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Uluru 2)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Uluru 2)