Subject: [Leica] IMG: Mother at 96
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:52:58 +0000

Thanks Sonny, Don, Brian, Philippe, Jean-Michel, Ken and Jim for your
comments. I haven't been taking many photos recently, so decided I
needed to get going again now that my back is clearing up a bit.

My mother lives on her own in her own house, and is getting much more
mobile again after her fall. She's fairly stubborn, and won't use her
rollator any more as she considers that it's only for old people. She is
a difficult subject as she has zero patience, insists on talking (well,
really she lectures me as if I'm about eight years of age) so focussing
at f2 is more luck than judgement :-) Anyway we got something useable
photographically, as well as agreeing her five year survival plan.

The plan will take her past the Presidential Cententarian Bounty which
entitles her to a cash award of ?2,540 and a letter from the Irish
President on her 100th birthday, and then on to her 101st birthday when
she will get another letter from the President together with a specially
struck commemorative coin. We'll work on a further five year plan after
that - one which should appeal to her numismatic urge, as she will get
on each subsequent birthday yet another coin, and these coins are a new
design each year. She used to be a very useful and speedy hockey and
camogie player in her youth apparently, and so is also tempted to have a
go at setting a women's 100 metre record for a centenarian as there
appears to be no Irish record in that category.

:-)

Douglas